Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Let Them Eat Cake

We had a great 4th of July weekend. Yesterday was a lot of fun. We went over to my husband's brother's house for a cookout. Hub's brother is deploying to the Middle East in a week, so it was a going away celebration for him. We had a fun time hanging out with family and all the kids had a great time running around with eachother.

I made a few desserts for the event that I'm pretty proud of and just had to share with you! Please excuse the pic quality- they're from my phone.


Watermelon cake! I got this idea from Women's Day magazine- you can see in online here. I saw it on the shelf in the grocery store and said I have to make that! It was surprisingly easy and I've never made anything like it before, so I was pretty impressed with the results.

And best of all, strawberry cheesecake. Instead of making the crust with graham crackers, I used ground gingersnap cookies. It makes such a difference. Its a subtle change, but so good. My brother-in-law requested this cake be made again for his birthday. Those Oakes boys love some cheesecake!

No comments: