Thursday, June 3, 2010

This Little Light of Mine

I was just outside walking Captain, and I caught the first glimpse of something that made me smile and think "summer is really here." Lightning bugs. I remember being a child and I was so enamored by them but I was scared to actually catch them in my hands. I also remember the time when I became brave enough to do so. I would peek through my fingers to see the small bug inside illuminate every few moments, and then watch as they would fly away.

I think that fireflies are one of God's coolest creations. I got to wondering about them and googled them. It turns out (I hope my info is correct here) that the females don't actually light up at night. It is the males who illuminate to attract a mate. Its like a beautiful dance. It brings to mind how I think about Brian. I am daily amazed by him. His smile and his attitude. He looks at the world in such a positive way, that I can't help but be enamored by the light he brings to my life.


It also makes me think of the light that we are all supposed to be.  In Matthew chapter 5 verse 16 we are commanded to "let our light shine before others so that they may see your good deeds and glorify our Father in heaven." We are the "light of the world." Light guides us in the dark and and leads the way. Light almost always refers to something good, and often something holy. Its easy for our lights to waver and to be blown out by the storms of this world. Its a good reminder to see the tiny, flying lights that come back year after year.


All these thoughts from a few little bugs.
 

No comments: